35 History Research Paper Topics
History can be defined as the study of the human past using written texts and graphical depictions. At schools, history is taught as a subject through the use of narratives to examine and analyze events in the past to determine the patterns that led up to them and better understand why something happened. At the end of your course, you will be required to deliver a history research paper that should meet all the lecturer’s requirements. Writing an academic paper can be a very laborious task and should be taken seriously. Students writing history essays, term papers, thesis, dissertations, reports, or research papers need to understand what is expected of them before embarking on writing this type of paper.
Research papers are arguably the most common assignments students are asked to write, and thus the steps to submit a quality research paper is. They include carrying out research, choosing a suitable topic, formulation of a thesis statement, creating a paper outline for your content, writing your first draft, formatting the paper, providing up to date and factual citations for your research paper, and finally proofreading and editing where necessary to get a refined final draft.
However, the most important part of the writing process, which is often overlooked, is choosing your essay topic. Let’s talk about the topic – the part of your essay that serves as your paper’s subject. The fact that you need to select a topic for your research paper is apparent, yet most students do not take their time when choosing the topic. Selecting an appropriate paper topic is much more of a challenge than you think.
How to Select the Best History Research Paper Topic? Tips and Guidelines
Selecting your topic will allow you to write about something you are interested in and can directly relate to. First, you should ensure that the subject will directly reflect the focus of the research paper. When you choose an interesting topic, it will considerably be easier to convince the reader to keep reading your paper.
Next, you should choose an area that you can handle, rather than trying to take on a large project, settle for a subject that you are already familiar with. It will make the process more manageable because you already have some information beforehand. Also, you need to conduct research before settling for the topic, you should carry out a comprehensive study to ensure you can find all the resources needed to deliver a quality research paper.
You should also consider that some topics are just too broad to tackle in a single paper, especially with student assignments. Therefore, you should make sure that you can exhaustively explore the question and put across your point of view to the reader simply by narrowing down your subject and deliberating over whether the topic you have chosen can meet all the requirements and whether you will be able to deliver a quality research paper based on it.
List Of 35 Interesting History Research Paper Topics
With history assignments, always try to maintain focus on your topic, it is easy to digress off the theme. You are welcome to use our topic samples to get some inspiration:
- The onset of the Industrial Revolution and its effect on the production process in Europe
- The contribution of Martin Luther’s Speech on the end of racism in the US
- Factors that lead to the establishment of Democratic Rule in France
- Reasons for the start of the American Revolution
- The historical significance of the Vietnam War
- The cultural influence of the Crusades in England
- The impact of the American and Russian Cold War on international trade
- Reasons that lead to the fall of the Weimar Republic
- The results of the American Foreign Policy of the 21st century
- Factors that lead to the beginning of World War II
- The reasons for the abolishment of slavery in America
- Factors that contributed to the Wall Street Crash of 1929 in the US
- The similarities and differences between Jihads and Crusades
- The contribution of the Battle of Hastings to the growth of the British Empire
- Effect of British colonial rule in African countries
- Economic growth in the Roman Empire during the Principate
- Reasons for the decline and fall of the Persian Empire
- Reasons for the adoption of the hippie culture in America
- The economic development of Japanese societies
- The importance of education in Medieval Europe
- Reasons for the fall of pirate societies in the Caribbean
- Territorial evolution of the British Colonial Rule
- Reasons for the establishment of the People’s Republic of China
- Factors that contributed to the prosperity of Ancient Egypt
- Reasons for the creation of the Black Lives Matter Movement
- Sports and its importance in Ancient Greece
- Factors that contributed to the downfall of Benito Mussolini in Italy
- Comparing the cultural activities of Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire
- The evolution of trade during the Renaissance
- The difference between Sparta and other Greek cities
- Britain’s Abolition of the Slave Trade Act and its influence on other pro-slavery states
- Economic changes that resulted from World War I
- The roots of the US Sexual Revolution in the 1960s
- The start of the Technology Revolution and its contribution to restructuring the Global Economy
- Implications of the invasion of Iraq in 2003 by the American Military
10 History Research Paper Questions to Help You Start Writing
Here are also 10 questions one can consider before settling for an essay topic:
- What is the leading cause of the Russian Revolution of 1917?
- What are the similarities and differences between crusades and jihads?
- What were the consequences of the German invasion of Poland in 1939?
- How did the guillotine affect the French Revolution?
- Why was the feudal system implemented in Ancient Japan?
- How has the People’s Republic of China influenced global trade?
- What factors lead to the fall of the Persian Empire?
- How and why were the American national parks created?
- What factors contributed to the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989?
- What factors lead up to the 9/11 terrorist attack in the US?
5 Useful History Research Paper Ideas
All in all, there are tons of good ideas that you can use for your research paper. Here are five examples to help you start the process. Firstly, you can write a research paper on England’s Reformation – it is an excellent way to explain some of the effects of the Catholic Church’s absolute control over the governments and the people. Also, you can show the events that led up to the reformation.
On the other hand, you can write about a major historical innovation that completely changed people’s way of life. A good example is the conception of the influential Gutenberg Printing Press. Highlight how laborious it was to copy books and other religious texts before the invention of the printing press. Another great research paper idea would be writing about the Civil Rights Movement in the US whereby you should go beyond just explaining what it was. You are expected to provide accurate information about that specific period in time and the changes it caused.
Also, you may shift your focus to early American history, for example, writing about the war between the British and Americans in 1812 is an excellent subject for your research paper. Finally, you can write about the technological advancements used in historical war efforts. An example is the onset of the atomic age following the first nuclear bomb’s detonation at the Trinity Site on 16th July 1945.
However, if you feel that the process is too tedious, you can always rely on our writing company. We have a team of experienced essay writers who can help you with any topic. So if you need assistance, do not hesitate to contact us!